Pages

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

James Brendan Clary

Well it's been 3 weeks since little James was born so I decided it might be time for me to write down his birth story before I forget it.

On February 3 I woke up at about 2:00 AM with some contractions. Now I had been having Braxton Hicks contractions for about a month so I wasn't too worried. After a few I noticed that they were more regular than usual so I got out my phone and started timing them. They were coming about 4 minutes apart and were lasting a little over a minute. I stayed calm and just kept timing. Around 2:30 Brendan woke up and I told him what was going on. We started getting ready to go to the hospital and decided for sure to go around 3:00. I woke up my mom and told her that we were going to the hospital. As we were getting ready to leave, the contractions were getting more painful and I would have to stop and focus on breathing through it. We were both pretty excited and not too nervous. The only thing I can really remember being nervous about was that they were going to send me home. 

We got to the hospital and they started checking me. I was dilated at about 2 1/2 and so we waited for an hour to see if I was progressing. After an hour I was at a 3, but they decided to let me stay despite my slow progression. Then came probably the worst part...the I.V. I hate needles more than I can even say. Brendan held my hand as I sat there and cried. They couldn't get it in on the first try because my veins are so stinking awful. They got it in on the second try though. But then I had to get antibiotic and it burned so bad! I cried the whole time and kept saying that I couldn't do this. It's kind of funny that I could totally handle the contractions but this antibiotic was the thing that had me doubting my abilities. After a little while I decided I was ready for the epidural which of course meant more needles... But it wasn't too bad at all just really weird feeling, like cold in my spine... All I can say is that I am so glad for epidurals!!

My doctor came to check on me after a few hours and I was dilated to about 3 1/2... super slow progress! It turned out to be a good thing though because my doctor had a meeting she had to go to up in Salt Lake that afternoon. But she didn't want me to take too long either so before she left she broke my water. That was weird feeling too. Well I started progressing a little bit faster after that, but still not a whole lot. Also my epidural wasn't really working on my left side so that was a little painful. Well they finally gave me a pit drip and that really started me going. The next time they checked me I was at a 10. Right before I started pushing I got another dose of the epidural and that took care of my left side, thank goodness!! I pushed for a little over an hour and then just like that he was here!! My sweet baby boy was born around 5:40 P.M. He weighed 8 lbs 4 oz. He is perfect in every way.

One of the best things about giving birth and the recovery afterwards, besides my baby of course, was my sweet husband. His selfless service, endless patience, and loving strength are what got me through one of the most trying times in my life. Also seeing how he is as a father just melts my heart. I love my darling husband more now than I ever thought possible. We are so happy that little James has come into our lives and we hope to be the parents that he deserves.


After eating!
He's got the one eyebrow thing down!
Cutest little face!
Boy bonding time!
Awake time!
Newborn! Just a couple hours old!



No comments:

Post a Comment